Thursday 2 May 2013

Progress update

Talking with people and reading the blogs of other people who have built with coral, one of the biggest concerns Ive identified is the apparent blowout in the handover dates.

Handover date is a sensitive issues, bottom line is ever day this project takes costs me $75-$100, and I can think of many things that my wife would prefer to spend that money on (food for example).

When we signed our contracts we were given some very rough figures on start and completion dates,, i.e. we were looking at a mid May start date and 13 weeks until completion, in all honesty I wasnt expecting these dates to be cast in stone but they are the figures by which Ive based my families budget on for the next 5-6 months.

Since signing the contracts however things have kinda lost focus, it took three weeks to get some variations to drawings resolved which delayed the covenant approval process and subsequently everything else, and we have colour selection appointments tabled for mid may....

All this made me realise that there was a certain lack of focus, which could possibly lead to things just coasting along, maybe it was just my personal perception, but the bottom line is that for whatever reason we were going to miss the mid may start date, and I had no idea of what the new timeline actually was.

So I raised this issue with coral and was very pleased when yesterday I received a call from our customer service manager explaining the revised timeline and the tasks that need to be met to achieve this.

The biggest controlling factor is of course Council approval, and that's unfortunately not in the hands of anyone accountable, however we anticipate approval for end of May and by that time we need to get everything else sorted out.... so, that's the plan and I'm happy.... Ill be even happier if we manage to stick to it!

No comments: